1-30 September 2018
on loan from Logan Garden (Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh at Logan)
Logan Botanic Garden owes much of its lush, semi-tropical character to Kenneth McDouall (1870-1945), in partnership with his brother Douglas (1872-1942), who inherited the Logan estate from their father in 1896.
The McDoualls were gifted and knowledgeable plantsmen. They travelled widely in the warm temperate regions of the world to obtain seeds of new introductions and also supported the expeditions of contemporary plant hunters including Reginald Farrer, George Forrest and Harold Comber. From around 1900 the old Walled Garden was remodelled to provide customised habitats for the brothers’ acquisitions. It was transformed from an old-fashioned country house garden with a mixture of vegetables, fruit and flowers into a special place where, famously, tender exotics and more familiar garden species were all grown in the open to an exceptional standard.